[gmx-users] In-Vacuo ligand only equilibration

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Apr 13 14:40:48 CEST 2015

On 4/13/15 12:38 AM, Iris Nira Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm utilizing gromacs 4.6.3 to set up my md simulation to run a ligand-only invacuo (no water) system for 500 ps prior to running my protein-ligand complex to determine the stability of the ligand. I have successfully run an energy minimization with the em-invaco.mdp file below (in absence of periodicity and infinite cut-offs).
>
> When running the equilibration should it be broken up into 2 phases: phase 1-nvt, phase 2-npt or is nvt sufficient?

You can't do NPT in vacuo with an infinite system.

> If so, should it also be done utilizing an implicit solvent model such as GBSA for both equilibration and production run (see also eqb-invacuo.mdp below)?

Implicit solvent and vacuum are physically different.  If your in vacuo run is
only to assess topological stability, don't bother with implicit solvent,
because that adds a layer of complexity that will make it hard to tell if there
are any problems.  Implicit models are very approximate.

-Justin

> [...]
> rlist = 0 ; Cut-off for making neighbor list (short range forces)
> coulombtype = cut-off ; Treatment of long range electrostatic interactions
> rcoulomb = 0 ; long range electrostatic cut-off
> rvdw = 0 ; long range Van der Waals cut-off
> constraints = none ; Bond types to replace by constraints
> pbc = no ; Periodic Boundary Conditions (yes/no)
>
> eqb-invacuo.mdp
>

> define = -DFLEXIBLE
>
> constraints = none ; Bond types to replace by constraints
> integrator = md ;Algorithm options
> dt = 0.002 ; timestep for integration
> nsteps = 50000 ; Maximum number of steps to perform 100 ps
>

> nstxout = 1000 ; frequency to write coordinates to output trajectory 2 ps
> nstfout = 1000 ; frequency to write forces to output trajectory 2 ps
> nstvout = 1000 ; frequency to write velocities to output trajectory 2 ps
> nstxtcout = 1000
> nstlog = 1000 ; frequency to write energies to log 2 ps
> nstenergy = 1000 ; frequency to write energies to edr
>

> ; Parameters describing how to find the neighbors of each atom and how to calculate the interactions
>
> nstlist = 0 ; Frequency to update the neighbor list and long range forces
> ns_type = simple
> rlist = 0 ; Cut-off for making neighbor list (short range forces)
> coulombtype = cut-off ; Treatment of long range electrostatic interactions
> vdwtype = cut-off
> rcoulomb = 0 ; long range electrostatic cut-off
> rvdw = 0 ; long range Van der Waals cut-off
> pbc = no ; Periodic Boundary Conditions (yes/no)
> epsilon_rf = 0
> rgbradii = 0
> comm_mode = angular
>
> comm-grps = system
>
> optimize_fft = yes
>
> ;
>
> ; V-rescale temperature coupling is on
>
> tcoupl = v-rescale
> tc-grps = system
> tau-t = 0.1
> ref-t = 300
>
> ;
>

> ; Pressure coupling is off
> Pcoupl = no
>
> ;
> ; Generate velocites is on
> gen_vel = yes
> gen_temp = 300
> gen_seed = -1
>

> ;
> ; Implicit solvent
>
> implicit_solvent = GBSA
> gb_algorithm = Still
> gb_epsilon_solvent = 80
> sa_surface_tension = 2.25936
>
> nstgbradii = 1
> rgbradii = 0 ; [nm] Cut-off for the calculation of the Born radii. Currently must be equal to rlist
>
> sa_algorithm = Ace-approximation
> sa_surface_tension = -1
>

> Best,
>
> Iris Nira Smith, Ph.D. Candidate
> Briggs Computational Biochemistry/Biophysics Laboratory
> University of Houston
> 402E Health Science Center
> Houston, TX 77204
>
> A Carnegie-designated Tier One public research university

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore