[gmx-users] CNT force field and simulation

Alex nedomacho at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 02:31:12 CEST 2015

Hi Pierre,

Two things:

1. rtp entries are pretty useless for crystal structures. Biochemical
simulations use molecules with a precise atomic composition, so an rtp
template makes sense. Not for crystals. Your rtp entry contains useless
information and the only thing in your coordinates that can fit that
template is one atom, which is already generous. So, you get one atom in
your GRO. ;)

2. Andrea isn't using pdb2gmx, which relies on templates. I honestly have
no idea why he created that rtp entry, so maybe other users will clarify
that. Andrea uses x2top, which will look up data in ffbonded, ffnonbonded,
and in atomname to type translator. This is the right way to treat crystals
in GMX. Moreover, you will have to do that every time you have a new set of
coordinates. Use what he uses and you won't get any new GRO files. All you
will get is a topology to go with your original PDB -- and that is all you
need to run a simulation.

Alex