[gmx-users] How to add a repulsive harmonic potential

atsutoshi.okabe at takeda.com atsutoshi.okabe at takeda.com
Tue Apr 14 09:17:30 CEST 2015

>Depending on how structurally complex the ligands are, it may be very easy to
>define a dummy atom within the structure using a virtual site, then specifying a
>nonbonded interaction only between these virtual sites using [nonbond_params].
>That way, these sites will not affect ligand-water, ligand-protein, etc but will
>repel ligands from one another.

Thanks for your reply.
I tried to use [virtual_sitesn] and [nonbond_params] below.
VS1 means virtual site( dummy atoms) of center of mass of one ligand_1.
VS2 means virtual site( dummy atoms) of center of mass of one ligand_2.
Complex.top file

[atomtypes]
;name  bond_type mass charge  ptype  sigma        epsilon
VS1     VS1    0.0000 0.0000  V   0.00000e+00   0.00000e+00
VS2     VS2    0.0000 0.0000  V   0.00000e+00   0.00000e+00

[ nonbond_params ]
;i   j   func      V(c6)    W(c12)
VS1  VS2   1   0.00000e+00  5.8954e+03

[atoms]
;nr    type   resnr residue atom cgnr  charge  mass
100      ha     2   LIG    H7    100    0.21132    1.00000
101      VS1    3   VIR    VS1   101    0.00000    0.00000
102      VS2    4   VIR    VS2   102    0.00000    0.00000

[ virtual_sitesn ]
; Site funct from
101    2      25 26 27 28
102    2      75 76 77 78

However, I got fatal error below.
Fatal error:
Number of coordinates in coordinate file(NVT_1.gro, 77111)
            Does not match topology (complex.top, 77113)

Does it mean that I have to add coordinate information of dummy atoms(VS1, VS2) in .gro file ?
Or is how to define virtual site incorrect?

Best regards,
Atsutoshi Okabe