[gmx-users] Position restraint for ions

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Apr 14 19:54:45 CEST 2015

On 4/14/15 1:48 PM, Marcelo Depólo wrote:
> Hi!
>

> I was wondering if there is any clear way to create position restraints for
> ions. I am using:
>
> *g_select -s rna_ions.gro -n index.ndx -on rna_ion.ndx -select 'group
> "non-Water"'* -> to create an index for my RNA and Ions;
>
> and:
>
> *genrestr -f rna_ions.gro -n rna_ion.ndx -o rna_ion.itp -fc 800 800 800* ->
> to create an .itp file for them.
>
> I am also including this new .itp file to the topology using the proper
> 'ifdef' statements, but I get this when I run grompp:
>

> *Fatal error:[ file rna_ion.itp, line 1753 ]:Atom index (90849) in
> position_restraints out of bounds (1-1748).This probably means that you
> have inserted topology section "position_restraints"in a part belonging to
> a different molecule than you intended to.In that case move the
> "position_restraints" section to the right molecule.*
>
> It seems the ions are not included as the same moleculetype as the RNA and
> Gromacs see this as an error.
>
> Would someone knows a neat way to do this?

The ions need to be merged into the RNA [moleculetype] definition in order for
this to work.  This isn't something that is done after the fact with index
groups as you're trying above; the topologies need to be merged, e.g. with
pdb2gmx -chainsep -merge, or by hand if the ions aren't part of the input
coordinate file.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629