[gmx-users] Pi stacking

Debayan Chakraborty debayan.ch at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 09:46:25 CEST 2015

As far as I know, AMBER force-fields tend to overestimate the stacking
interactions in nucleic acids, whereas CHARMM tends to understabilize them.
The Chen and Garcia paper talks extensively about it (HIgh-resolution
reversible folding of hyperstable RNA tetraloops using molecular dynamics
simulations (PNAS 2013)) talks extensively about it. In fact, the authors
tried to correct the overstacking problem by reparametrising the VDW
parameters with respect to benchmark CCSD(T) calculations on nucleic acid
dimers (see the supp info). WIthout these corrections, there was lot of
kinetic trapping involved when folding was attempted from the denatured
state using REMD. This paper would be a good  place to start, and check out
the cross references as well.

Best,
Debayan Chakraborty,
PhD Student,