[gmx-users] Mdrun and minimum image convention

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 22:27:06 CEST 2015

Hi Catarina,

I have an MD wrapper that comprises a monitoring mechanism, which allows
terminating a simulation after a certain condition is met. Of course, such
a mechanism interferes with the MD process, but it will usually add just a
bit every so many minutes, checking the results at intervals. In a case
like this, you wouldn't be able to say whether there hasn't been any frame
with direct interactions, but you can say something about the probability
it happened. If that sounds good for your purpose, let me know.

To my opinion and experience, having an external monitor works pretty well.
Trying to include it in the MD code adds clutter there and further burdens
maintenance. And doing such calculations at every frame also adds a
significant cost.

Cheers,

Tsjerk