[gmx-users] membrane protein simulation

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Apr 22 22:14:00 CEST 2015

On 4/22/15 4:07 PM, Mostafa Javaheri wrote:
> Dear Justin
> I am going to simulate a homo trimer trans-membrane protein; Base on the
> crystallographic structures there is 7 phosphatidyl glycerol phosphate
> (PGP) per each monomer and also 3 glycolipid molecules (S-TGA-1, or 3-HSO 3
> -Galpβ1-6ManpR1-2GlcpR-1-archeol) located inside the trimer on the
> extracellular side of membrane. In the membrane protein tutorial of gromacs
> 1,2-dipalmitoyl-*sn*-glycero-3-phosphatidylcholine (DPPC) is introduced as
> the standard lipids, so should I treat PGPs and glycolipids as ligands and
> going through protein ligand complex tutorial?
> Or treat glycolipids as ligands, continue the membrane protein tutorial and
> use DPPCs instead of PGPs?
> Is it OK if I replace PGP with DPPC from the standpoint of simulation?

The tutorial is a simple example.  It is absolutely NOT any sort of "standard
lipid" or model for what you should do.  It's a demonstration to teach you some
skills and a manner of thinking about a problem.

Choosing a proper force field is issue #1.  The Berger parameters are OK, but
there are more recent parameter sets that are vastly better.  Issue #2 is what
lipid(s) is(are) relevant.  In your case, you've got something very different
that needs to be modeled accordingly.  You need to simulate what's functionally
relevant, not what a simple tutorial example provides.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore