[gmx-users] Using thermostats to create temperature gradient in system

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Apr 27 02:28:39 CEST 2015

On 4/26/15 8:25 PM, Agnivo Gosai wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am copy pasting my "mdp" file for the last step of my procedure :
>
> Here I am not using any freeze group.
>
> ; Run parameters
> integrator      = md            ; leap-frog integrator
> nsteps          = 50000        ; 100 ps
> dt              = 0.002         ; 2 fs
> energygrps      = Protein Non-Protein
> ; Output control
> nstxout         = 10
> nstvout         = 10
> nstlog          = 10
> nstenergy       = 10
> nstxtcout       = 50
> ; Bond parameters
> continuation    = yes           ; after trial 400 K
> constraint_algorithm = lincs    ; holonomic constraints
> constraints     = all-bonds     ; all bonds (even heavy atom-H bonds)
> constrained
> lincs_iter      = 1             ; accuracy of LINCS
> lincs_order     = 4             ; also related to accuracy
> ; Neighborsearching
> ns_type         = grid          ; search neighboring grid cells
> nstlist         = 5             ; 10 fs
> rlist           = 1.4           ; short-range neighborlist cutoff (in nm)
> rcoulomb        = 1.4           ; short-range electrostatic cutoff (in nm)
> rvdw            = 1.4           ; short-range van der Waals cutoff (in nm)
> ; Electrostatics
> coulombtype     = PME           ; Particle Mesh Ewald for long-range
> electrostatics
> pme_order       = 4             ; cubic interpolation
> fourierspacing  = 0.16          ; grid spacing for FFT
> fourier_nx      = 0
> fourier_ny      = 0
> fourier_nz      = 0
> ewald_rtol      = 1e-5 ; relative strength of Ewald - shifted direct
> potential
> optimize_fft    = yes ; saves computation time
> ; Temperature coupling is on
> tcoupl          = V-rescale             ; modified Berendsen thermostat
> tc-grps         = Non-Protein
> tau_t           = 0.1           ; time constant, in ps
> ref_t           = 300           ; reference temperature,in K

What you want is:

tc-grps	= Protein Non-Protein
tau-t	= -1      0.1
ref-t	= 300     300

The ref-t for Protein is irrelevant since tau-t = -1 (as described in
http://manual.gromacs.org/online/mdp_opt.html#tc).

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629