[gmx-users] difference of calculation time between the numbers of fep-lambdas values

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Apr 27 15:05:19 CEST 2015

On 4/27/15 9:02 AM, Hannes Loeffler wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 07:43:51 -0400
> Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>
>> Note that without couple-moltype, you're going to be decoupling the
>> whole system, which is (1) not what you want for calculating
>> solvation free energy and (2) extremely slow.  There is an inherent
>> slowdown when running the free energy code, but it should not be so
>> large.
>
> Really? I just looked into the code yesterday and I think that if you do
> not set couple-moltype, none of the coupling code is ever triggered.  I
> have only played a bit with relative free energies (Gromacs 4.6) where I
> think you don't need any of the couple- parameters at all.

Maybe I got that backwards.  For relative free energies, this is true (we're
doing these now); topological differences are all that are needed.  For an
absolute solvation free energy, one needs couple-moltype unless the B-state
(dummy) is explicitly defined in the topology, AFAIK.  If there is no
couple-moltype, and no B-state defined in the topology, I'm not sure what the
code would even be doing, actually.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629