[gmx-users] Protein fragments during production simulation

SAPNA BORAH sapnauser365 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 16:12:09 CEST 2015

Dear all,

I have some doubts regarding pbc being new to gromacs. Since my protein was
breaking into fragments, I introduced pbc options and found the trajectory
whole and centred in the water box, but this was done after the simulation
and just for taking the snapshots with the command prompt:

trjconv -s run.tpr -f run.xtc -pbc mol -center -skip 500 -sep -o step.pdb

Is this the correct way to do it or do I have to incorporate pbc in the
.mdp files and re-run the simulation.

Also, before that I also checked if equilibration was an issue. So I
extended equilibration of the system to 5ns and 10ns. The results(without
using pbc) after a 10ns production run for both 5ns and 10ns equilibration
run shows that the protein is whole, however it had started breaking in
fixed intervals at fixed amino acid residues and then becomes whole for
around 2 ns and again fragments. The number of fragments has reduced
comparatively to the 1ns equilibration run.

Is this also a pbc related issue, and can someone please put some light on
what exactly is the problem going on?

Regards,
Sapna

--