[gmx-users] PMF calculation by umbrella sampling simulations

MPI mpi566 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 22:12:34 CEST 2015

Hi Justin,

   Thanks for your explanation.
(1)
In the tutorial, then what is a good approximate value of free energy
?  if  one follows the protocol.   Is -37 or so kcal mol^-1  ?

Here, 26 windows of COM distances are used, each for 10 ns simulation.

(2)
In your original paper,  -50.5 kcal mol^-1 is the free energy for
dissociation of a single peptide from protofibril.
In this full preparation,  you used 31-window setup, each for 10 ns simulation.

I've been aware of the difference between 26 and 31 windows but  questions are

First,  if one obtains a reasonable histogram like

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9uTAq1wCc1fVkRPY2FrTExFcmM/edit

,how can one  tell whether if  the system needs more windows ?
because these overlap windows look appropriate.

Second,   after full preparation, how did you know the free energy of
-50.5 or so  is a  GOOD value ?

Third,  comparing  a coarse ( the tutorial) with a full preparation (
your original paper),  it is somehow unclear that the number of
windows can cause  a significant difference of 13 kcal mol^-1 since
it runs independently for 10 ns in each window.

Please see  PMF curve attached in a simulation of  26 windows, each for 10 ns.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9uTAq1wCc1fSUtwSVh4cnFpZVE&authuser=0

The PMF curve looks reasonable except  when it converges to 37.5 kcal
mol^-1 or so.

Thanks,

Dewey