[gmx-users] Problem with positive total energy

Alex nedomacho at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 08:06:30 CEST 2015

The total energy being positive is absolutely no reason for concern in
the case of a gas (as opposed to it being positive for e.g. a crystal).
This has nothing to do with Gromacs, it does exactly what you tell it to.

In an ideal monoatomic gas, the total energy is exactly (3/2)kT,
additional contributions of second order (van der Waals) and first order
electrostatics (say, in plasma). As I said before, you know everything
about the system to do an estimate and compare the sign with your
simulation and, far more importantly, the actual averages, with
literature. Unlike bonded systems, in your case one can actually be
reasonably quantitative about energies.
Noone on this forum will tell you whether your calculation is reliable,
based on the sign of your total energy for gas. It can and should be
positive in many cases, especially at 300K.

Alex