[gmx-users] Coulomb barriers and Coulomb Softcore Potential

Andreas Mecklenfeld a.mecklenfeld at tu-braunschweig.de
Mon Aug 24 15:55:45 CEST 2015

Dear Gromacs-Users,

I want to calculate the solvation free energy of water in an aqueous
ionic solution and I'm using the Python tool "alchemical-analysis.py" by
Klimovich, Shirts and Mobley for evaluation. This tool demonstrates a
very high N/N_k ratio (up to 7000) while decreasing the electrostatic
potential (Lennard Jones fully active).

Considering energetic barriers, I would like to adjust the Coulomb
Softcore Potential. Does this seem plausible and if so, how is the
Coulomb Softcore Potential defined in Gromacs?
Naden and Shirts provide a concept by equation (A.2) in "Linear Basis
Function Approach to Efficient Alchemical Free Energy Calculations. 2.
Inserting and Deleting Particles with Coulombic Interactions"
(http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ct501047e) - is this the formula
intended?

Best regards,
Andreas