[gmx-users] trajectory file

mihammad roos mohammad.roos0325 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 7 09:24:43 CET 2015

Thank you all for your helpful answers.

    On Friday, December 4, 2015 4:35 PM, "Smith, Micholas D." <smithmd at ornl.gov> wrote:

 Although you should ask these type of questions to the VMD mailing list, since the trjaectory file format is typical of md simulations from gromacs, I'll give you a quick answer:

VMD needs to know the atom names/types in order to draw anything, these are not stored in the xtc file. Instead you need to load your geometry into vmd first (your .gro or .pdb file) for your system, and then load the trajectory as data into the "molecule" that vmd generates on screen. Alternatively, you can use gmx trjconv to convert your trajectory file from xtc to pdb (or gro) and read the multi-frame pdb or gro file into vmd (these files will have multiple frames, and the atom names, but can be fairly large in terms of disk space).

Also, welcome to the wonderful world of MD simulations!

Micholas Dean Smith, PhD.
Post-doctoral Research Associate
University of Tennessee/Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Center for Molecular Biophysics