[gmx-users] using SPC water with Charmm FF

Smith, Micholas D. smithmd at ornl.gov
Tue Dec 8 15:22:10 CET 2015

I agree, Justin, that the gold-standard would be to compare SPC derived values to TIP3P in a very systematic way; however, it isn't just pure-water, small peptides, and disordered peptides that show that SPC can be used with Charmm. Indeed a recent binding study (Effects of water models on binding affinity: evidence from all-​atom simulation of binding of Tamiflu to A​/H5N1 neuraminidase. From Scientific World Journal (2014), 536084/1-536084/15, 15 pp) demonstrates that the SPC actually performs better than TIP3P for the Wild-Type neuraminidase (though binding to mutations is slightly better with TIP3P).

Further large scale testing of Charmm with non-TIP3P water has been done (see: Molecular Dynamics Simulations of Proteins: Can the Explicit Water Model Be Varied? DOI: 10.1021/ct700053u ). If anything the validity of SPC with Charmm is system dependent and if one runs a simulation with Charmm+SPC/E, it is important to seek out direct comparisons between experimental work and your simulation for validation purposes.

What I am trying to get across is that the large simulation may not be a complete waste; it needs to be treated carefully and it should be made explicit in any manuscript produced using the simulation that SPC/E was used along with justification as to what differences you may expect to see if performed in TIP3P instead (ideally it would also include a short test MD with TIP3P for the system to demonstrate that the differences will be by and large quantiative and not qualitative).

Micholas Dean Smith, PhD.
Post-doctoral Research Associate
University of Tennessee/Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Center for Molecular Biophysics