[gmx-users] Regarding .itp file to the system

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Dec 9 19:01:23 CET 2015

On 12/9/15 12:57 PM, Alex Mathew wrote:
> Justin,
> Thanks for your quick reply
> so how i should proceed with .itp file as per your tutorial .gro file is
> required ,if i add "new.itp" to topol.top there might be problem that atom
> number mismatch between the conf.gro which produced for protein alone

Let's be clear about one thing: my tutorial does not say a .gro file is
required. It simply uses default file extensions for everything because that is
how most users go about daily business. The procedure, in general, is always the
same:

1. Process the protein with pdb2gmx and obtain a .top and coordinate file in
whatever format you like.
2. Generate a ligand topology, #include its .itp file in the .top
3. Append the ligand coordinates to those of the protein from step (1); again
format is irrelevant

Done and done.

> When i tried to load mol2 file in charmmgui it gives an error
>
> here is a mismatch in the order of ligand heavy atoms in between the
> sdf/mol2 file and the original PDB file.
>
> when i corrected mol2 file manually it shows error
>
> so in either way how i should proceed,?

If you already have all the parameters for it, you shouldn't have to restart
from scratch; CHARMM-GUI allows you to upload a topology (stream file or
rtf+prm) for the ligand.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629