[gmx-users] using OH ions in combination with CHARMM27 force field

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Dec 10 15:00:29 CET 2015

On 12/10/15 8:57 AM, soumadwip ghosh wrote:
> Hi all,
>           I am trying to simulate a polymer membrane in the presence of
> electrolytes. As an effort to corroborate experimental outcomes I have to
> do simulation in the presence of 0.1M NaOH. I know that OH- is present in
> the standard CHARMM FF directory. So, I tried to add 15 Na (+) and 15 OH(-)
> in the system which happened without any error. Now, while executing grompp
> for energy minimization I got this strange error of the no. of coordinates
> in the gro file does not match that of the .top file and the difference is
> 15 less in the .gro file. Now the thing is I can see that genion has added
> the required no. of OH(-) in the system and the topology file has been
> updated accordingly. However, if I add CL instead of the hydoxide ion
> things go smoothly and grompp does not scream. Is there something anyone
> knows about this kind of weird behavior of the ions? I am using GROMACS
> 5.0.5. Any sort of help will be appreciated. Following are my files-

genion does not add polyatomic ions, so without seeing exactly what you did and
what your topology and coordinates look like, all I can say is that probably
something went wrong there (a difference of 15 atoms is a strong clue).  To add
polyatomic species, use genbox/insert-molecules -ci -nmol, not genion.

-Justin

> topol.top
>
> ; Include the force field
> #include "charmm27.ff/forcefield.itp"
>
> ;Include CHARMM atomtypes
> #include "atomtypes_nafion.itp"
>
> ; Include chain topologies
> #include "nafion.itp"
>
> ; Include water topology
> #include "charmm27.ff/tip3p.itp"
>
> #ifdef POSRES_WATER
> ; Position restraint for each water oxygen
> [ position_restraints ]
> ;  i funct       fcx        fcy        fcz
>     1    1       1000       1000       1000
> #endif
>
> ; Include generic ion topology
> #include "charmm27.ff/ions.itp"