[gmx-users] using OH ions in combination with CHARMM27 force field

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Dec 11 00:32:28 CET 2015

On 12/10/15 12:29 PM, soumadwip ghosh wrote:
> Thanks Justin for your reply. I was wondering then how to prepare an OH.itp
> file from the scartch. Can it be made using pdb2gmx? Also from some old

It's already in ions.itp; you don't need to create anything.

> threads I came accross that hydroxide and hydroxonium ions are species
> which dont obey classical dynamics. I would appreciate your thoughts on
> this.

Classical MD is not a very good approach for studying pH-dependent behavior, and
there is little to be gained by trying to simulate these fixed models of OH- or
H3O+.  The actual physics involved are far more complex than a fixed charge,
fixed protonation model can ever convey.

The OH- parameters were derived using in vacuo water interaction energies, but
AFAIK were not validated against free energy of solvation, interactions with
ions, etc. so I am not sure how suitable they are for what you're doing.

> I would also like to know if I make an NaOH.itp somehow and then add it to
> my system containing the polymer is it going to behave like a
> polyelectrolyte? Sorry if I am asking much.

Your polymer will behave however your topology dictates.  If it's got ionized
residues, isn't that the definition of a polyelectrolyte?  Not really my field.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore