[gmx-users] Performance on multiple GPUs per node

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 12:54:11 CET 2015

Hi,

Without details of your benchmarks it's hard to comment on why do you not
see performance improvement with multiple GPUs per node. Sharing some logs
would be helpful.

Are you comparing performance with N cores and varying number of GPUs? The
balance of hardware resources is a key factor to scaling and my guess is
that your runs are essentially CPU-bound, hence adding more GPUs does not
help.

Have a look at these papers:
https://doi.org/10.1002/jcc.24030
https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-15976-8_1
especially the former covers the topic quite well and both show scaling of
<100k protein system to 32-64 nodes (dual socket/dual GPU).

Cheers,

--
Szilárd