[gmx-users] parameter for repeating units with cgenff

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Dec 11 17:43:39 CET 2015

On 12/11/15 10:17 AM, gromacs query wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am using cgenff to derive parameters for some polymer (A-BBBB...-C). The
> repeating block B has some Oxygen O atom which joins the next residue
> (-BO-). When I derive charges for B residue with cgenff then I get net -1
> charge on B residue because of this unsatsified O atom. I want to keep B
> residue formal charge zero. I get formal charge zero if I derive charges on
> B-OH residue but removing H will again will give some non-intergral formal
> charge. I am not sure what should done in this regard.
>
> If someone has some experience with this or suggestion I will highly
> appreciate it.

To derive suitable monomer units, you have to include all the linking atoms; if
it's an ether of some sort, you need B-O-CH3 or whatever is similar to then
apply to the actual polymer itself.  Just parametrizing B in the absence of
flanking atoms is inappropriate.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629