[gmx-users] bond constraints: which distance is constrained?

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Dec 16 14:33:25 CET 2015

On 12/16/15 8:29 AM, Vitaly V. Chaban wrote:
> In bond constraints (all-bonds; LINCS...), does it constrain an initial
> bond length (as in GRO) or an equilibrium bond length (as in ITP)?
>
> My tests reveal the constrained distance is taken from ITP, which is
> somehow counter-intuitive to me.

The constraint length is the equilibrium bond length as specified in the
topology.  It's the same thing with applying a bond potential; the reference
value is taken from the force field, not the geometry you supply.  Constraints
convert those bonds (with specified equilibrium length) to a rigid entity.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore