[gmx-users] Covalent bond/crosslink formation with calcium

Turgay Cakmak turgaycakmak34 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 16:44:43 CET 2015

Thank you for the swift reply!

We have decided against defining covalent bonds and went with the
calcium-within-peptide-fiber configuration, but we have run into another
problem, in that some of the calcium cations vanish from the unit cell that
the fiber is in, and appear in the next unit cell, when we run an energy
minimization. The missing cations are all on the same side of the peptide
fiber and form a neat half-cylinder on the adjecent unit cell, so we are
fairly certain that the problem has to do with our box definition.

However, the entire structure is within our dodecahedral box prior to
energy optimization. Is there any reason that the calciums would change
position after energy minimization? Do we have to redefine our box
afterwards?

Thanks in advance,
-Turgay