[gmx-users] Covalent bond/crosslink formation with calcium

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Feb 6 22:33:49 CET 2015

On 2/6/15 10:44 AM, Turgay Cakmak wrote:
> Thank you for the swift reply!
>
> We have decided against defining covalent bonds and went with the
> calcium-within-peptide-fiber configuration, but we have run into another
> problem, in that some of the calcium cations vanish from the unit cell that
> the fiber is in, and appear in the next unit cell, when we run an energy
> minimization. The missing cations are all on the same side of the peptide
> fiber and form a neat half-cylinder on the adjecent unit cell, so we are
> fairly certain that the problem has to do with our box definition.
>
> However, the entire structure is within our dodecahedral box prior to
> energy optimization. Is there any reason that the calciums would change
> position after energy minimization? Do we have to redefine our box
> afterwards?

Without seeing the actual commands used to set this up and post-process with
trjconv, and probably some images of "before" and "after," it's hard to be
specific.  Sounds like a normal consequence of periodicity and possibly
incorrect unwrapping via trjconv.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629