[gmx-users] Double counting of h-bonds g_hbond:issue

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Feb 18 13:41:49 CET 2015

On 2/17/15 5:14 PM, Udaya Dahal wrote:
> Thanks Justin for prompt reply. Actually I calculated for the h_bonds with
> same criteria for (angle 30 and distance(D-A) 0.35nm) from VMD, and the
> number is lot less for both Polymer water and water water.  I have 193
> water molecules and the H-bond from VMD with same criteria gives me 232
> H-bonds while GROMACS provides 340.  The value GROMACS provides is better
> in the sense that it matches more closely to the experimental value but I
> kind of unsure since the visualization (in VMD ) also showed very few bonds.
>   It shows like only 5 bonds from vmd calculation(and visualization) in
> previously mentioned Polymer water h-bonds.

Probably VMD's plugin and g_hbond are doing something different.  Note the VMD
documentation seems to indicate the angle criteria is defined differently (D-H-A
angle whereas g_hbond uses H-D-A, yet they use a similar value as a cutoff).
Define a very small test system, something that you can literally look at and
know the answer for sure, and see if the two programs agree.

-Justin

> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 7:58 AM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>

>> On 2/16/15 7:39 PM, Udaya Dahal wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> When I used the g_hbond the hydrogen bonding i was getting was quite good
>>> but when I checked the index file i find double counting of the bonds. So
>>> far, it seems to me that g_hbond is giving higher than the real hydrogen
>>> bonds present in the system. For eg. in the following OW-HW-oxygen, we see
>>> there are two bonds between 109(OW) and 110(HW) for two different polymer
>>> oxygens.
>>>
>>> Can anyone explain this issue?
>>>
>>>        76     77     12
>>>       100    101     47
>>>       109    110     40------->1 (same hydrogen with two different oxygens)
>>>       109    110     54------->2(same hydrogen with two different oxygens)
>>>

>> So does a visual inspection of this particular frame confirm that there
>> shouldn't actually be hydrogen bonds with these atoms?  This isn't
>> double-counting, it's just a bit unusual, but is possible within the
>> context of whatever criteria you have set for defining a hydrogen bond.
>>
>> -Justin
>>
>>        211    212     54
>>>       211    212     68
>>>       337    338     68
>>>       343    344      5
>>>       343    344     19
>>>       403    404     61
>>>       487    488      5
>>>       511    512     26
>>>       511    512     40
>>>       538    539     33
>>>       592    593     12
>>>       592    593     26
>>>
>>> Hbnum.xvg shows
>>> hydrogen bonds             pairs within 0.35
>>> 16                                       8
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Udaya
>>>

>> --
>>
>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.

>> School of Pharmacy
>> Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
>> University of Maryland, Baltimore
>> 20 Penn St.
>> Baltimore, MD 21201

>> * Please search the archive at http://www.gromacs.org/
>> Support/Mailing_Lists/GMX-Users_List before posting!

>> * For (un)subscribe requests visit

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences