[gmx-users] Wrong profile obtained in umbrella sampling tutorial

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jan 7 17:50:55 CET 2015

On 1/6/15 2:04 PM, Victor Rosas Garcia wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I'm back from the holidays.  Still working on the PMF tutorial.
>
> Perhaps I'm just dense.  These are the results of the latest run (34
> windows, wham complains of poor sampling around 5.57 nm)
>
> The histogram is at:
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2K7fedV_ZFzSUpsOGVOY01mc00/view?usp=sharing
>
> and the resulting (wrong) profile
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2K7fedV_ZFzWFB1TURoanB4U2c/view?usp=sharing
>
> Any suggestions?

Since this has been going on for a while, I may be forgetting details - are you
following *exactly* the procedure from the paper?  As I said before, you won't
reproduce the PMF profile using the tutorial; only by doing what is in the paper
should you expect to reproduce it.  Pulling directly on the NMR pentamer does
lead to an artificially low barrier because the side-chain packing leaves
several voids that decrease peptide-peptide affinity.  So, if you run 100 ns
unrestrained MD, then do SMD and subsequently umbrella sampling, you should be
able to reproduce what's shown in the tutorial.

-Justin