[gmx-users] Debugging 'inconsistent shifts'

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jan 15 18:44:23 CET 2015

On 1/15/15 11:25 AM, Kalev Takkis wrote:
> On 15 January 2015 at 00:09, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>

>> On 1/14/15 4:44 PM, Kalev Takkis wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, list!
>>>
>>> GROMACS complains about inconsistent shifts and suggests me to check my
>>> topology. I have so done, but the problem is not immediately obvious. How
>>> can I make it tell me exactly which atoms/bonds it finds faulty?
>>>

>> What were you doing when the error came up?  What was your exact command?
>> What is your system?
>>

> Temperature equilibration, commands given were
>       gmx grompp -f nvt.mdp -c simcell_minim.gro -p simcell.top -o
> simcell_temp.tpr
>       gmx mdrun -v -deffnm simcell_temp
>
> GROMACS version 5.0.4, ff OPLS-AA
> Equilibration finishes without other problems, I can continue with the next
> step without the system blowing up. The error is not encountered during
> minimisation, it finishes fine, energies are reasonable and no trace of
> inconsistent shifts is found in the log.
> System is chromatography column, silica slab with attached hydrocarbon
> chains. The crystal surface is infinite in xz plane, so the mdp file
> specifies
> pbc             = xyz
> periodic_molecules = yes

Have you verified that all the bonded terms that span a periodic boundary are
specified correctly?

> The model is hacked together from silica unit cell and chains using
> pdb2gmx, so it's entirely possible that there is indeed something wrong
> with my system. I'd like to know where. When GROMACS encounters this error

The topology is the first and most likely source of error.

> can I make it reveal more details? Which atoms/bonds are involved? Some
> diagnostics tool or verbosity switch to mdrun maybe?

How soon does the system blow up?  General troubleshooting advice is at
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Blowing_Up#Diagnosing_an_Unstable_System

All GROMACS tools have a -debug flag that can be set, but you'll dump out a
massive file with a ton of information you don't need.  If you're not used to
reading through it, it can be more of an obstacle than a useful tool :)

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore