[gmx-users] Debugging 'inconsistent shifts'

Kalev Takkis kalev.takkis at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 11:04:47 CET 2015

On 15 January 2015 at 19:44, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

> On 1/15/15 11:25 AM, Kalev Takkis wrote:
>
>> On 15 January 2015 at 00:09, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>>

>>> On 1/14/15 4:44 PM, Kalev Takkis wrote:
>>>
>>>  Hi, list!

>>> command?
>>> What is your system?
>>>

>> Temperature equilibration, commands given were
>>       gmx grompp -f nvt.mdp -c simcell_minim.gro -p simcell.top -o
>> simcell_temp.tpr
>>       gmx mdrun -v -deffnm simcell_temp
>>
>> GROMACS version 5.0.4, ff OPLS-AA
>> Equilibration finishes without other problems, I can continue with the
>> next
>> step without the system blowing up. The error is not encountered during
>> minimisation, it finishes fine, energies are reasonable and no trace of
>> inconsistent shifts is found in the log.
>> System is chromatography column, silica slab with attached hydrocarbon
>> chains. The crystal surface is infinite in xz plane, so the mdp file
>> specifies
>> pbc             = xyz
>> periodic_molecules = yes
>>

> Have you verified that all the bonded terms that span a periodic boundary
> are specified correctly?
>
>  The model is hacked together from silica unit cell and chains using
>> pdb2gmx, so it's entirely possible that there is indeed something wrong
>> with my system. I'd like to know where. When GROMACS encounters this error
>>

> The topology is the first and most likely source of error.
>
>  can I make it reveal more details? Which atoms/bonds are involved? Some
>> diagnostics tool or verbosity switch to mdrun maybe?
>>

> How soon does the system blow up?  General troubleshooting advice is at
> http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Blowing_Up#Diagnosing_an_
> Unstable_System

It doesn't. Noticed the message in the terminal window when I was trying to
improve the visual with trjconv after the production run. Then went back
through the logs and found that it was first reported in NVE equilibration.

> All GROMACS tools have a -debug flag that can be set, but you'll dump out
> a massive file with a ton of information you don't need.  If you're not
> used to reading through it, it can be more of an obstacle than a useful
> tool :)

No kidding. 1 step run -> 25MB log file. Fortunately grep was able to
extract the list of wonky atoms in a nice concise manner. Thank you for the
advice.

All the best,
Kalev