[gmx-users] Atomtype P,SI not found from grompp

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Jan 23 17:54:45 CET 2015

On 1/23/15 11:51 AM, Jennifer Vo wrote:
> Dear Justin,
> Thanks a lot. I tried to use all of the NADPH from ATB (
> http://compbio.biosci.uq.edu.au/atb/index.py) and they have the same
> problem.
> Regarding the "P, SI", ist atom type "P, SI" (with one space in between) is
> existed in the gromos 54A7 force field
> #define ga_26       120.00      530.00
> ; P, SI  -  OA  -  CHn, P       95
>
> in file gromos54a7.ff/ffbonded.itp. It means it's not a new atom type, did
> I interpret correctly?

No.  The comment does not tell you that "P,SI" is an atom type.  It tells you
that the angle parameter there is applicable to either P or SI in the first
position (atom i), OA in the second position (atom j), then either CHn or P in
the last position (atom k).  The available atom types for the force field are in
atomtypes.atp.  If it's not there, it's not real.  I recall our previous
discussions about the source of the topology.  Hopefully you have alerted the
ATB developers to the erroneous topology that they're distributing.

If your atom is a phosphorus, the atom type is P.  Don't change it.  If the
parameters are sub-par, then derive new ones or choose a better force field.

-Justin

> Regards,
> Jennifer
>
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 5:37 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>

>> On 1/23/15 9:52 AM, Jennifer Vo wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Justin,
>>> I did try replacing the "P,SI" to "P"  but the ligand was distorted during
>>> energy minimization (error happened excactly at the position of P). Then I
>>> tried replacing "P,SI" to "P, SI" (with one space in between)  according
>>> the existed gromos54a7 force field but got the error when running grompp:
>>> *Too few parameters on line (62) *
>>>
>>> which is the line of "3 P, SI" as following:
>>>
>>> ;  nr  type  resnr  resid  atom  cgnr  charge    mass    total_charge
>>>       1    OA    1    NAP     O1X    1   -0.797 15.9994
>>>       2     H    1    NAP      H4    1    0.295   1.0080      ; -0.502
>>>       3 P, SI    1    NAP     P2B    2    2.585  30.9738
>>>       4    OM    1    NAP     O3X    2   -1.083  15.9994
>>>       5    OA    1    NAP     O2X    2   -0.797 15.9994
>>> Keep playing around by replacing "P, SI" with "PSI" on all files but it
>>> also didn't work,
>>> Could you please help me for a solution in this case?
>>>

>> If the parameters provided distort the structure, you need to find or
>> derive better ones.  You can't sub in nonsensical atom types and hope for
>> it to work :)
>>

>> -Justin
>>
>> --
>>
>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.

>> School of Pharmacy
>> Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
>> University of Maryland, Baltimore
>> 20 Penn St.
>> Baltimore, MD 21201

>> * Please search the archive at http://www.gromacs.org/
>> Support/Mailing_Lists/GMX-Users_List before posting!

>> * For (un)subscribe requests visit

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences