[gmx-users] coordinates file format

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Jan 26 17:34:33 CET 2015

On 1/26/15 11:31 AM, mah maz wrote:
> Dear Mark,
>
> Thanks for your reply. I think it is not! I have 4000 atoms, the first
> number is time, then 4000 x y and z: x1,y1,z1, x2, y2, z2, ....,x4000,
> y4000, z4000. They are following each other not in a special order. Then
> the next time step starts with x1,y1,z1,....,x4000, y4000, z4000. So, they
> are not in a column as they are supposed to be. Can I do anything to a
> result file to be in my preferable format?

Which sort of format would you prefer?  You say the coordinates are not in a
"special format," but in fact they are in a completely predictable format, which
you have identified - (x,y,z) for every atom in the selection.  The output is
indeed cumbersome (it is a bit of a number dump), but it is easily parsed with
any scripting language because the order is known.  The file may not be
aesthetically pleasing, but it's perfectly functional.

-Justin

> Many Thanks!
> Regards,
> Mah
>
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 12:08 PM, mah maz <mahmaz71 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Mark,
>> I want to have X Y Z of each atom for all time step apart from other atoms
>> so that I can use them as data for programing; like this for instance:
>> t    x1 y1 z1          x2  y2  z2
>> 0    2.4 3.5 4.5       5.6 7.9 9.8
>> 0.1  5.5 6.7 8.9
>> in which 0 and 0.1 are time and the rest are x1 y1 z1 of the 1st atom and
>> x2 y2 z2 are for the 2nd atom.
>> Is it possible to get the file in a desired format?
>> thank you!
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 11:54 AM, mah maz <mahmaz71 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I have extracted a file of coordinates after a simulation with 1000000
>>> steps writen every 1000 steps, by "g_traj -s -ox" . The result is a file in
>>> which the first column is time and all coordinates are following it. Is
>>> there a way that I can get coordinates of each time step in a more
>>> classified way?
>>>
>>> Thanks!

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy