[gmx-users] Adding ions to membrane protein system

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 23:01:22 CEST 2015

Hi,

Your membrane is probably in the x-y plane, so you just insert ions
everywhere and delete from the .gro file all that have a z coordinate
bigger than whatever value aligns with the bottom of your membrane, and
correct the number of atoms in the .gro and .top file accordingly.

This won't help you because you only have a single chunk of water, so your
concentration differential will just diffuse away. You could use
flat-bottomed position restraints in GROMACS 5 to help with that, perhaps.
Or the Computational Electrophysiology feature.

Mark