[gmx-users] Simulating Peptides

Mateusz Marianski marianski at fhi-berlin.mpg.de
Wed Jul 8 16:11:17 CEST 2015

Hi Suniba,

You touch here very complicated system that requires lot of literature
research first. Few hints:
1. Amyloid-Beta (AB) is intrinsically disordered protein. The PDB you
point to is a nmr structure measured in some helix-inducing solvent and
it does not maintain the structure in water (physiological) solution.
Thus I would be reluctant to study its "unfolding" because it might
bring little of relevance to the water solution. If You want to look at
the AB free-energy landscape in water, I would suggest looking at
Pande's paper first: doi:10.1016/j.bpj.2011.12.002
2. Following from the paper, in water You face all sort of sampling
problems, thus You need to reach really long time scales to obtain any
meaningful result. Otherwise You might be biased toward some metastable
states which stability are just artifacts of poor sampling/short timescales.
3. There's no full AB plaques structure (as far as I am aware), just its
hydrophobic part (vide PDB 2beg (mono), 2lmn (di) and 2lmp (tri)). You
will probably find some refs in under this pdb's.

Best,
Mateusz

--
Mateusz Marianski, PhD
email:          marianski at fhi-berlin.mpg.de
phone:                     +49-30-8413-4849
Fritz-Haber-Institut
der Max-Planck-Gesellschaft
Faradayweg 4-6
14195 Berlin, Germany