[gmx-users] after extending simulation

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jul 9 19:58:34 CEST 2015

On 7/9/15 1:49 PM, Andrea Spinelli wrote:
> I’m sorry, I miss something with cut and paste command.
> On terminal I wrote:
>
> gmx convert-tpr -s md_0_1.tpr -extend 1000 -o md_0_2.tpr
> gmx mdrun -v -s md_0_2.tpr -cpi md_0_1.cpt
>
> There is no gromacs coordinate file in VMD, I have to convert a md_0_2.tpr into try or try file?

The contents of md_0_1.tpr and md_0_2.tpr are identical except that the latter
contains a different number of steps.  When providing mdrun with a .cpt file, it
carries out the run from that point, so the starting point of the run (time = 0)
is always the same.

The final coordinates are always written to a .gro file unless you specify a
different format (which your above command does not).  Whatever that file is
called depends on the first run (md_0_1), because the file names are stored in
the .cpt file; they will be appended to by default.  The final .gro file has an
appended name rather than being overwritten, IIRC.

-Justin

> On Jul 9, 2015, at 7:38 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>

>> On 7/9/15 1:25 PM, Andrea Spinelli wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>> I extend a simulation (GROMACS 5.0.5) with these command lines:
>>>
>>> convert-tpr -s md_0_1.tpr -extend 1000 -o next.tpr
>>> mdrun -s md_0_2.tpr -cpi md_0_1.cpt
>>>
>>> And now?
>>
>> Well, the above sequence of commands won't do anything because (1) it's "gmx convert-tpr" not just "convert-tpr" and (2) if you create "next.tpr" and try to run "md_0_2.tpr" then mdrun will exit.
>>
>>> What I have to do to view the new .gro file (i use VMD to see it) with new state of protein folding simulation?
>>
>> Load it like any coordinate file.
>>
>> -Justin
>>
>> --
>>
>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.

>> School of Pharmacy
>> Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
>> University of Maryland, Baltimore
>> 20 Penn St.
>> Baltimore, MD 21201

> Andrea Spinelli
>
> Please do not print this email unless really need to.
> Save paper, save trees, save space, save money - life matters.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences