[gmx-users] Question regarding box size

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Jul 10 23:13:08 CEST 2015

On 7/10/15 1:35 AM, James Lord wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a system with 300k atoms, but computationally it is expensive for me
> doing simulation with such a big system, Is it possible to reduce the box
> size? If yes how? (the .gro file is uploaded). I know from Justin tutorial
> genconf
> -nbox        vector 1 1 1
> Does the numbers after -nbox have to  integer?
>
> The size of box required to contain protein with 1.5nm of water on each
> side. Sorry I could not figure it out what to do and how to tackle this
> simple task. re bulding the simulation from scratch is an option but
> thought might find quicker and smarter way here. I want to have optimum
> size in each direction so that the protein does not see its periodic image.
> Appreciate any specific thoughts on my system and the box size I have got
> now.
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0YMTXH1gmQsdFVKWkdPLURCUVk/view?usp=sharing

Given that you have a large protein and you're creating a biphasic system,
there's not much you can do.  The water box may be a bit large along z, but
that's about all you can likely change here.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore