[gmx-users] trouble diagnosing a simulation that's blowing up (shake not converging --> segmentation fault)

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Jul 12 04:34:39 CEST 2015

On 7/10/15 7:21 PM, Justin Lemkul wrote:

> On 7/10/15 7:15 PM, Nathan K Houtz wrote:
>> Actually, I think I found the problem. When i looked at the pdb files in vmd
>> the first time I missed it, but a colleague had a hunch and I found that he
>> was right! I think that shake is constraining atoms to the wrong molecules.
>> Here's a screenshot I took where you can see what I mean:http://imgur.com/1bgThDv
>>

> Sorry, this doesn't make sense to me.  Constraints are applied per-moleculetype;
> they cannot be applied between molecules.  I can't tell anything from this image.
>
>> I'm still not sure how to fix it though. The molecule numbering in my .gro
>> file is correct, and there are only 4 atoms per molecule (or 3 plus the
>> dummy). How can I tell shake to look at each molecule individually? Or have I
>> made a mistake somewhere? Here are my most recent files:
>>
>> .gro file: (only part of it -- there is a character limit. this is the first
>> and last ten molecules with the box dimensions at the bottom)
>> http://textuploader.com/e898
>>
>> topology file:
>> http://textuploader.com/e89g
>>
>> minimization:
>> http://textuploader.com/e8rc
>>
>> .mdp file:
>> http://textuploader.com/e896

One final thing after I took another look on a hunch - constraining all angles
is very unstable, and doing it with SHAKE is (I think) even worse.  You've got
[constraints] manually defined in the topology to keep the geometry rigid; you
should set "constraints = none" to just use those constraints specified in the
topology.

-Justin

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy