[gmx-users] Free energy change with harmonic restraints

asaffarhi at post.tau.ac.il asaffarhi at post.tau.ac.il
Sun Jul 12 08:54:16 CEST 2015

Dear Natalie,

The weekend was good. Thanks. I hope that you have a great weekend too.

If you manage to simulate the system with restraints (A) and without
restraints (B) you can calculate the free energy difference between
A/B to a system in which the ligand is not interacting with the
environment (protein and solvent) at all. The free energy associated
with the restraints when the ligand is not interacting via VDW and
electrostatic interactions with the environment can be calculated with
the analytic expressions.

In summary you can calculate Delta F_{A->A'} and F_{B->B'} where A'
and B' are when the ligand is not interacting via VDW and
electrostatic interactions with the environment without and with
restraints respectively. This can be calculated by TI, Bar etc. Then
there is to calculate F_{B'->B''} where this free energy difference is
given by the analytic equations. F_B''=F_A' since it's a system in
which the ligand is not interacting with the environment (protein and
solvent) at all. Thus you can calculate F_{A->A'} and F_{B->B''} and
obtain F_{A->B}.

I hope it helps.

Best regards,
Asaf