[gmx-users] on VMD analysis of the gromacs production MD

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Jul 12 17:10:15 CEST 2015

On 7/11/15 8:45 PM, Brett wrote:
> Dear All,
>

> After energy minimization, 100 ps NVT md and 100 ps NPT md (based on the
> on-line lysozyme tutorial), I have processed a 30 ns production MD (also
> based on the on-line lysozyme tutorial). Then I load the NPT.gro and the
> 30ns_production_md.xtc to the VMD, and by VMD I find in the whole 30 ns md,
> the whole protein molecule has an about 50 degree rotation (the 50 degree
> occurs gradually in the 15 ns md, not a sudden 50 degree rotation). Is this
> 50 degree rotation normal or abnormal?

Molecules diffuse.  That's why it's called "molecular dynamics" and not
"molecular static structures."

> If by VMD I want to observe the local conformation changes in the whole 30 ns
> md, rather than the  global 50 degree rotation, will you please tell me which
> trajectory file I need to load to VMD, and by which command I can get that
> trajectory file?

trjconv provides several methods for fitting to remove global
translation/rotation.  See the help information.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore