[gmx-users] How does x2top recognize between alkane C and alkene C

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Jul 13 13:43:37 CEST 2015

On 7/13/15 1:38 AM, sridhar dwadasi wrote:
> Dear gromac users,
> I'm using g_x2top (4.6.7 version), to generate a topology. The compound
> contains double bonds. I have a problem in setting correct topology.
> The C1 in both the cases -C1H=C2H2 and -C1H2- is being assigned the same
> type, though I'm mentioning different distances in the n2t file. This may
> be due to the small difference in distance (0.140 nm and 0.154 nm).
> Can anyone suggest a way to go about this?

Because 0.14 and 0.154 are exactly 10% apart (w.r.t. 0.140) so x2top can't
distinguish between them based solely on bond length.  The bonded connectivity
is different, though, in terms of C1 (bonded to 3 groups only) so that suggests
your .n2t file isn't constructed correctly.  C1 in the alkane should have 4
substitutents, two of which are H.  In the alkene, 3 substituents, with 1 H.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore