[gmx-users] How does x2top recognize between alkane C and alkene C

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jul 16 19:06:43 CEST 2015

On 7/16/15 12:57 PM, sridhar dwadasi wrote:
> Hi Dr. Justin Lemkul,
>        Thank you for responding again. I'm still not understanding it :(.
>   I'll try to be more clear. Taking the example of OPLS UA, we have
> different atom types for united alkene atoms (-CH= and CH2=) and alkanes
> (-CH2-). When I represent the connections in n2t file, the -CH2- and -CH=
> will have two connections each. and the distances with other united carbons
> are 0.154nm and 0.140 nm as I have mentioned before. I have been giving the
> same information in the .n2t file. Based on the order in which they appear
> in the .n2t file, the atom appearing first is being taken by x2top to
> create the topology. I hope I made my problem clear. I'm unable to post my
> .n2t file now as I do not have it with me at the moment. If required I can
> post it tomorrow.

Yes, please post the .n2t file.  Just keep in mind that x2top is a very
simplistic program; you may have to play some tricks to get such a subtle
distinction to work correctly.  UA models will be particularly tricky because
there won't necessarily be any H to distinguish different forms.  You may have
to either play with the specified bond length (putting one outside of the 10%
tolerance of the other) or re-compile the code after modifying the allowable
tolerance.  In this case, 10% may be too permissive.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore