[gmx-users] PMF using umbrella sampling and Gromacs 5.0

Christopher Neale chris.neale at alum.utoronto.ca
Wed Jul 22 16:56:58 CEST 2015

Dear Eudes:

There are two issues: The first issue is the fact that you've got a sampling problem near the bilayer center. The second issue is the periodic bumps that you see in your PMFs. I'll take the second part first.

The source of the periodic bumps in PMFs from umbrella sampling is, to me, a million dollar question. I've seen them in my own work. I've seen then in the literature (as you noted for Fig. 4 in http://www.mdpi.com/1422-0067/13/11/14451/htm ). I've seen them when people use g_wham and Alan Grossfield's version of WHAM. What I don't yet know is if people also see this when running US simulations with AMBER, CHARMM, or NAMD. Frankly, either answer scares me a little. If you see wild oscillations of the PMF, at large distances then one possible source is that you are near a distance that is half your box length along the order parameter. Note that with constant pressure simulations you will get oscillations in the length of the box and also when your membrane changes shape it could flip the vector of closest approach by 180 deg if you are close to the half-box limit. However, that should not be relevant to the bumps (out of interest, how large is your box along z?). Although I don't know what is going on with these PMF bumps, I also note that membranes as a whole always tend to migrate toward positive z and lipids tend to flow to positive x in gromacs simulations, so I wonder if it is a rounding issue. Could you try again with double precision and see if you get the bumps?

As for the problem with sampling near the bilayer center... my first guess is that you've got some of your replicas on the wrong side of the bilayer's center. Did you intend to go across the center and sample also in the lower leaflet? I've only ever used gromacs 3 and 4 to do pulling simulations, never gmx 5. You can see my concerns about gmx5 for this type of issue near the bilayer center here: https://www.mail-archive.com/gromacs.org_gmx-users%40maillist.sys.kth.se/msg11324.html
One simply has to test it. However, if gmx5 does indeed work properly with this new US philosophy, then I presume that you simply need to move your starting coordinates such that your solute is in the positive leaflet for all replicas. You can test this by visualization or g_dist, which reports the sign of the displacement (look in the 5th column I think for the z value). Note that you are using pull_start=yes, so which side of the bilayer your solute is initially on should make a difference here.

Chris.