[gmx-users] Gromacs single sum virial calculation for periodic systems

Julius Schulz julius.schulz at fu-berlin.de
Wed Jul 22 18:34:24 CEST 2015

Hello again,
I’ve put some more thoughts on this subject and I am quite certain that the derivation for the
single sum virial as given in the Gromacs Manual is actually wrong.
The delta_i as defined in equation B.3 should better be called delta_ij, as it depends on both
i and j. But then the step from Eq. B.8 to B.9 breaks down and with it anything that follows.

The correct calculation is given in the thesis by Bekker and as far as I can see, the Gromacs
implementation does exactly what’s given there. I was actually not able to obtain the original
publication in Physics Computing 92, but i guess this is similar to the chapter in the thesis
by Bekker. A similar calculation is also given by Thompson et. al. in J. Chem. Phys, 131, 154107,
2009. I might be nice, to have an easily obtainable citation in the Gromacs Manual as well.

Since in an older thread (https://mailman-1.sys.kth.se/pipermail/gromacs.org_gmx-users/2009-August/044133.html) someone was already confused by this section in the Gromacs manual, it might
be helpul removing/rewriting this section.

The verdict for me is, the knowledge of the positions and total force on each atom is
not enough information to calculate the virial of a periodic system.

Greetings, Julius