[gmx-users] Different Cv and Cp

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Thu Jun 11 20:10:45 CEST 2015

On 09/06/15 17:29, Michael Shirts wrote:
> If the simulation are generating configurations with the Boltzmann
> probability distribution, the results should the same up to error.
>
> Cv and Cp should not be exactly the same, though for liquids at room
> temperature, they are pretty close (look up the precise numbers for the
> fluid you are interested in).
This is not correct. cP and cV can easily differ 20-30%. Not many cV
have been measured but you can compute the difference from other
fluctuation formulae, see e.g. Caleman et al. J. Chem. Theory Comput.
2012, 8, 61–74, http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ct200731v.
Note that to get accurate numbers you need quantum corrections as well.
My group are working on implementing a method for that in gmx dos.

> Are you calculating enthalpy as U + PV, where P is the constant APPLIED
> pressure, not the instantaneous pressure, and PV is in same units?  Since
> the PV term should be quite low for liquids, the two heat capacities should
> be relatively close (within noise -- fluctuation based calculations I think
> are noisier).
>
> Else you need to check if the Boltzmann distributions are being correctly
> generated: See the code and paper describing it linked here:
> https://github.com/shirtsgroup/checkensemble
>

> On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 11:23 AM, Faezeh Pousaneh <fpoosaneh at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear Michael,
>>
>> Can I ask a question concerning your previous email,
>> I followed
>>
>> Cv = (d<U>/dT)_V
>>
>> Cp = (d<H>/dT)_P
>>
>> for my lutidine molecule, and I get same values for Cv and Cp. But when I
>> test with
>>
>> kB T^2 c_P = Var (Enthalpy)
>> kB T^2 c_V = Var (Energy)
>>
>> I get 40 J/mol.K difference in Cv and Cp.
>>
>> Mean that fluctuation play big role. Which way of checking I can rely?
>>

>> Best regards
>>

>> On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 3:38 PM, Michael Shirts <mrshirts at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> By definition (more fundamental that fluctuation formulas)
>>>
>>> Cv = (d<U>/dT)_V
>>>
>>> Cp = (d<H>/dT)_P
>>>
>>> Run two simulations at different T and estimate the derivatives.

>> at
>>> don't

>>> molecule
>>> also

>> fpoosaneh at gmail.com>

>>> get
>>> gives

>>> gromacs
>> and
>>> ensemble-preserving

>> simulations
>> resutls

>>> fpoosaneh at gmail.com>

>>> NPT
>>> and
>>> same
>>> obtained
>> Cv
>>> equilibrited

>> before

>>> or

>>> --
>>>
>>> * Please search the archive at
>>> posting!

>>> * For (un)subscribe requests visit
>>>
>> --
>>
>> * Please search the archive at
>> posting!

>> * For (un)subscribe requests visit

Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone:	+46184714205.