[gmx-users] Different Cv and Cp

Faezeh Pousaneh fpoosaneh at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 17:24:57 CEST 2015

Just for those who may face with similar problem as I had. I found where my
mistake was.

The problem: I have been obtaining Cv and Cp differently for Lutidine. The
obtained heat capacities in Groamcs were consistent with

kB T^2 c_P = Var (Enthalpy)
kB T^2 c_V = Var (Energy)

but not with

Cv = (d<U>/dT)_V

Cp = (d<H>/dT)_P.

Answer: The answer was for (d<U>/dT)_V I had simulated (NVT) at two
different temperatures and was obtaining energy derivatives, while the
volumes were different at two temperatures. Now I kept the volume the same
at two temperature and I get the same results as approach 1.

In fact there is a difference in Cv and Cp in my molecule, as it is seen in
the link for Benzene:

https://books.google.se/books?id=eH_1dIZr-zMC&pg=PA171&dq=liquid+benzene+Cp-Cv&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CB8Q6AEwAGoVChMIzoPJ0diWxgIVRI4sCh0wCwl0#v=onepage&q=liquid%20benzene%20Cp-Cv&f=false

Best regards