[gmx-users] confusion on NPT MD simulation

Ming Tang m21.tang at qut.edu.au
Mon Jun 15 10:05:07 CEST 2015

Dear Justin,

I got a problem making me confused for weeks.
I found 2 journals, in which the author kept parts of their protein to equilibrate their system in NPT. Is there any other methods to keep atoms fixed during NPT equilibrium besides freezing them?
As you mentioned,  freezing and pressure coupling are incompatible. My first understanding was that I cannot fix atoms during NPT. Therefore, I have been steering my collagen in NVT recently.  After minimization, I equilibrated my collagen in NVT with the heavy atoms restrained (define = -DPOSRES) for 20ns, and then stretched it using pull code. Do you think this simple process can give a good starting point for SMD?

Thanks very much.