[gmx-users] The pullf.xvg and pullx.xvg files

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jun 23 22:27:38 CEST 2015

On 6/23/15 8:49 AM, Laura Tociu wrote:
> Dear Gromacs users,
>
> I would like to understand how exactly the pull code works and what exactly
> is outputted in the two .xvg files. I am using Gromacs 5.0.2 and I am
> pulling an ion through a membrane channel in the xy plane, and the
> parameters I am using seem to be working well:
>
> ; Pull code
> pull    = umbrella
> pull-geometry   = cylinder
> pull-coord1-vec = 0 0 1
> pull-dim        = N N Y
> pull-start      = yes
> pull-ngroups    = 2
> pull-ncoords    = 1
> pull-coord1-groups      = 1 2
> pull-group1-name        = Protein
> pull-group2-name        = CAIon
> pull-coord1-rate        = -0.0005
> pull-coord1-k           = 1000
> pull-r1         = 2
> pull-r0         = 3.2
> pull-print-reference    = yes
>
> I can see the ion move through the channel by using the above pull code, so
> everything should be ok.
>
> However, I am terribly confused by the pullf.xvg and the pullx.xvg files.
> To start with what baffles me the most, let me first explain how I
> understand the pulling to work. From my understanding at time t = 0, I have
> the pull_group, namely my ion, and the reference group, the protein
> channel, sitting quite comfortably somewhere in space. Then, at time t = 2
> femtoseconds or whatever the time step I am using is, the ion is moved to a
> new position based on the regular forces that act on it during MD. However,
> this new position will not correspond precisely to the position at which it
> should be at 2 fs if it were to travel at the pull rate I indicated in the
> .mdp file and in the pull direction I indicated in the .mdp file. So this
> is where the umbrella potential comes into play, adding an extra force that
> is trying to force the ion in the direction and at the speed I intended it
> to go in the .mdp file, and the final location will be one determined by
> all forces together. That is to say, the bottom of the "umbrella" potential

Not exactly.  The pull rate is not the speed of the pulled group.  A harmonic
potential is connected to the pulled group, and the virtual spring is moved at
the specified pull rate.  The pulled group has a force applied to it in
response, which is added to all the other forces in the system.  The virtual
spring is always extended a constant rate in this scenario (called
"constant-velocity pulling/steered MD").  Whether or not the pulled particle(s)
move(s) at the same rate depends on the other forces in the system and the
stiffness of the spring.

> is always at the position at which the ion is supposed to be according to
> the pull rate, the pull vector and the time t. At first the force due to
> the potential will be very small, but over time, if the ion fails to travel
> as desired, this force will amount until finally the ion starts to break
> through anything that may be blocking it. If this were indeed how it works,
> the harmonic force acting on the ion at t=0 should be zero. Nonetheless, in
> the pullf.xvg file the force at time t=0 is never zero, but seems to
> increase in magnitude the further away the ion is from the COM of the

The force at t=0 should be zero.  What is its magnitude?

> protein channel (well, some cylindrical part of it anyway). This seems to
> indicate that the umbrella potential somehow has its bottom at the COM of
> the reference group, which I am not sure I understand the purpose of. For

The spring is increasing in length, increasing the force on it.

> example in one case where I started with the ion very far away from the
> channel, the force at time t=0 was -1700 KJ/mol, and I don't understand why
> such a big force would be required to move it at a constant rate towards
> the channel, when with the same settings but an ion closer to the channel
> the initial force is much smaller (-270 KJ/mol).

Depends on the forces involved and the interactions that evolve through the
trajectory.

> I am also unsure about exactly what the "1 cZ" and "1 dZ" columns refer to
> in the pullx.xvg file, but I would like to understand the forces first, as
> those will get used next in the actual umbrella sampling and the WHAM
> analysis.

In pullx.xvg are the coordinates of the COM of the reference (in any relevant
dimensions, here just z because of your pull-dim settings) and the displacement
along the axis(axes) specified (again, just z here).

You may want to look at my tutorial for a bit more of the nuts and bolts.

http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/gmx-tutorials/umbrella/index.html

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629