[gmx-users] GPU and aux power supply

Alex nedomacho at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 21:56:37 CEST 2015

Hi all,

I have a bit of a gromacs-unrelated question here, but I think this is a
better place to ask it than, say, a gaming forum. The Nvidia GTX 960 card
we got here came with an 8-pin AUX connector on the card side, which
interfaces _two_ 6-pin connectors to the PSU. It is a factory superclocked
card. My 525W PSU can only populate _one_ of those 6-pin connectors. The
EVGA website states that I need at least 400W PSU, while I have 525.

At the same time, I have a dedicated high-power PCI-e slot, which on the
motherboard says "75W PCI-e". Do I need a different PSU to populate the AUX
power connector completely? Are these runs equivalent to drawing max power
during gaming?

Thanks!

Alex