[gmx-users] GPU and aux power supply

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 18:41:46 CEST 2015

First of all, unless you run multiple independent simulations on the same
GPU, GROMACS runs alone will never get anywhere near the peak power
consumption of the GPU.

The good news is that NVIDIA has gained some sanity and stopped blocking
GeForce GPU info in nvidia-smi - although only for newer cars, but it does
work with the 960 if you use a 352.xx driver:

| NVIDIA-SMI 352.21     Driver Version: 352.21         |

|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr.
ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute
M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
|   0  GeForce GTX 960     Off  | 0000:01:00.0      On |
 N/A |
|  8%   45C    P5    15W / 130W |   1168MiB /  2044MiB |     31%
 Default |

A single 6-pin can deliver 75W, an 8-pin 150W, so in your case, the hard
limits of what your card can pull is 75W from the PCI-E slow + 150W from
the cable = 225 W. With a single 6-pin cable you'll only get ~150W max.
That can be OK if your card does not pull more power (e.g. the above
non-overclocked card would be just fine), but as your card is overclocked,
I'm not sure it won't peak above 150W.

You can try to get a molex -> PCI-E power cable converter.

--
Szilárd