[gmx-users] translate problem

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Mar 2 14:49:14 CET 2015

On 3/2/15 6:46 AM, gromacs query wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have membrane thickness along Z and want to merge peptide in membrane. I
> need to translate peptide (say 10 Angs) along -Z to adjust its position and
> used command like this:
>
> editconf -f pep.pdb -c -princ -rotate 0 90 0 -translate -10 0 0 -o
> new_pep.pdb
>
> It seems that it does not move at all. But when I used '-translate -100000
> 0 0' then it moved a little along -Z. I am not sure whats wrong. Please
> suggest. Also in VMD the center of pep does not pass through the principal
> axis (slightly off center).

First, GROMACS uses nm as its unit for all distances, not A, so to translate 10
A, you need -1 along z.  Also, using -translate without specifying a box, IIRC,
causes a simple translation of everything, e.g. no net movement within the unit
cell.  Try adding an explicit -box definition.  If that doesn't work, trjconv
can translate, but you need a -pbc option to do a relative translation within
the box rather than just translating everything.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore