[gmx-users] System blowing up - equilibration step - CG simulation

Carlos Navarro Retamal cnavarro at utalca.cl
Fri Mar 6 14:27:10 CET 2015

Dear Gromacs users,
I'm trying to perform a CG simulations of a system consisting in a protein locate at 5 nm with respect to the charged groups of a MGDG membrane.
I first performed an EM in vaccum.
After that, to constructed the system i use insane.py as following:
./insane.py -f minimization-vaccum.gro -o system.gro -pbc square -dm 5 -box 10,10,10 -l MGDG -sol W -orient

Later, i ran a EM with the whole system, with the respective output:
Steepest Descents converged to machine precision in 2081 steps,
but did not reach the requested Fmax < 10.
Potential Energy = -2.6833109e+05
Maximum force = 3.5193942e+02 on atom 3598
Norm of force = 6.2432761e+00,

Sadly, when i'm trying to perform an equilibration i got the following error message:
Step 10:
Atom 8449 moved more than the distance allowed by the domain decomposition (1.590000) in direction Z
distance out of cell 1330.886108
Old coordinates: 1.667 4.809 0.710
New coordinates: -1840.027 -454.814 1335.667
Old cell boundaries in direction Z: 0.000 5.000
New cell boundaries in direction Z: 0.000 4.781
________________________________
Program mdrun, VERSION 5.0.4
Source code file: /home/krlitros87/Downloads/gromacs-5.0.4/src/gromacs/mdlib/domdec.c, line: 4390

Fatal error:
An atom moved too far between two domain decomposition steps
This usually means that your system is not well equilibrated
website at www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Errors<http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Errors>

This is the .mdp file:
define = -DPOSRES
dt = 0.02
cutoff-scheme = group
nsteps = 500000
nstxout = 0
nstvout = 0
nstlog = 100
nstxtcout = 100
xtc-precision = 10
rlist = 1.4
coulombtype = shift
rcoulomb = 1.2
epsilon_r = 15
vdw-type = shift
rvdw-switch = 0.9
rvdw = 1.2
tcoupl = Berendsen
tc-grps = Protein MGDG W ION
tau-t = 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0
ref-t = 323 323 323 323
Pcoupl = Berendsen
Pcoupltype = isotropic
tau-p = 5.0
compressibility = 3e-4
ref-p = 1.0
refcoord_scaling = all

I know that my system is blowing up, but what can i do to avoid this issue? I tried increasing the EM step without luck.
If you need more info related my problem please let me know.
Hope someone can help me.
Best regards,
Carlos

--