[gmx-users] Docked ligand, umbrella sampling and "aiming"

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Mar 6 16:01:23 CET 2015

On 3/6/15 2:04 AM, Jernej Zidar wrote:
> Hi there,
>    I have a receptor with a docked ligand. I would like to perform an
> umbrella sampling simulation to get some insights into the
> thermodynamics of the binding.
>
>    Following the Umbrella Sampling tutorial I performed the 500 ps
> pulling simulation. A visual examination of the trajectory revealed
> there's an expected change in the position of the ligand that is
> coincidental with a worryingly big increase in the force exerted on
> the ligand. Link to a figure:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/fj3daaagimuynni/rec-lig-pos-for.pdf?dl=0
>
>    Is this an expected behaviour or should I try to somehow adjust the
> direction of the pulling? If so, could you advise on a strategy to do
> so?

This is expected.  You're pulling on a spring at constant velocity, so the force
on the spring increases with increasing displacement.  It is being resisted by
the interactions between the pulled group and the reference group.  So the
applied force is trying to overcome restoring forces in the system.  At some
point, they break, the pulled group has a net displacement, and the force on the
spring drops off.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629