[gmx-users] Embedding protein into lipid bilayer

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Mar 7 13:24:34 CET 2015

On 3/6/15 11:02 PM, yoochan wrote:
> Dear GMX users,
>
> I’m tyring to build lipid and transmembrane(protein) system using inflategro.pl. in GROMACS 5.0.4.
>
> I think the inflategro.pl can not build a result on center of box when the membrane or lipid are quite large.

That's not likely true.

> Here is my workflow
>
> 1. Prepare a protein (1R3J)
>
> 2. Prepare a optimized DPPC lipid  (dppc128.gro)
>
> 3. Make a large DPPC lipid  using editconf command , because 1R3J is bigger than dppc128.gro. (click to show pic <http://technemine.iptime.org:20000/ic/public.php?service=files&t=de809347be67c2f868ff4f51440da78a>)
>
> 4. Superimpose a protein and newly prepared DPPC lipids (about 1152 dppc molecules)
>
> 5. Run inflategro.pl as below
>
> $ perl inflategro_1.pl prot_memb.nowater.gro 4 DPPC 5 inflated.gro 5 area.dat
>
> 6. Check inflated.gro  (click to show pic) <http://technemine.iptime.org:20000/ic/public.php?service=files&t=2f6323524912f91ddc4c3d69fceb7a47>

This image suggests that you haven't prepared the system correctly (either step
3 or 4, or both).  If the protein is off-center from the lipids, that comes from
incorrect initial placement.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629